DIY Hypertufa Succulent Gardens

im so glad i got the idea to try to make started when i saw in Lowe's Creative Ideas magazine. the tutorial they showed looked so was easy but the first time was hard! and there are some flaws to their recipe!
hypertufa planters: prep time 15 minutes / 2 days to set / 2 weeks to cure Total Project time approx. 2 1/2 weeks (also depending on the humidity in your location)

start out with your ingredients (cost around $25 to get all of this including containers if you don't have anything to use) you will need the following items:
peat moss
sand paper
pam/cooking spray
rubber hammer
large plastic bag
succulents/other plants

mix equal parts of perlite/quickrete/peat moss into a large container (make sure your gloves are on!)
for the three planters that I made I used 4 quarts of each mixed together. then add your water. add water until you have the consistency of cottage cheese and when you ball up the mixture it kinda stays together. (see above photo)

next spray your containers with your pam/cooking spray. for the first attempt i followed the instructions and used a separate container to stack on the inside and press the edges together. (see photo below of containers inside the bag) this method made it difficult to remove them. it messed up my containers because even with the pam i had to break them to remove them. i waited 2 days and tried to remove from the molds and this was the result.

sadly i had to start i did a little research and saw a video from a few years ago on martha stewart's (my hero) show. they did not use an interior mold instead they just packed it into the mold(see photo above)...because who cares what the inside of your planter looks like?? you are gonna have it covered with soil & plants!
 after a few days i used a rubber hammer (or in my case a rubber tip for a regular hammer) and beat lightly around the edges. slide it out of the mold and use a piece of sand paper to sand any rough edges. place them back into the plastic bag and store them in a dry place for a few weeks. it's very humid here in the south and i found i had to wait an extra week to make sure they were cured. i did not drill a hole in them like it says to...not sure if thats going to be a problem but for drainage i used rocks in the bottom layer. i was too afraid to try to drill since my first batch fell apart and this had been 6 weeks in the making since i first started the project. here is my end result.

so far they have held up nicely even in the rain. it's been 2 weeks and i havent had any problems. my next batch i will be using some of the techniques martha mentioned for adding texture and patterns...might even try some concrete dye to make colored planters for christmas gifts this year!

so in the end i estimated each planter to cost about $3 I still have a lot of materials left to make at least 20 more. pretty good deal if you can master the steps and have the patience to wait it out!

Related Posts


  1. Get one from RIXPLANTZ.COM today ! See my planters and imagine what you can do with them.

  2. I stopped using perlite and started using newspapers soaked in water and shredded with a paint stirrer. I also use an inexpensive plastic table cloth (buy large n cut to size) to line the mold with. I let it set for 3 days and the plastic table cover peels off just fine.

  3. We poked the holes when we made them. Yesterday! Can't wait to see how they turn out.

    1. Any news nancy? I've been waiting for almost a year! How'd they turn out?

  4. Has anyone used these in the deep humid South? Perhaps I'll need more quickrete and less peatmoss... ?
    Can't wait to get my artsy group together- my turn for a project!

  5. One of the best advantages of retirement is at long last being to appreciate the side interests that you have constantly envisioned about doing however never had room schedule-wise. A most loved interest for some, retirees is natural gardening.

  6. The best methodology is to really draw out a schematic of the garden naming particular zones and after that filling those regions with the proper plants. These structures or studies ought to be as nitty gritty as conceivable to incorporate plant specifics and cost investigation.New Cannabis Strains

  7. It is a great website.. The Design looks very good.. Keep working like that!.

  8. Its fantastic as your other blog posts, thanks for putting up.


About Amanda


Featured In

Featured In
Prince William Living Magazine

Follow @Instagram